We are looking for a General Manager to help manage TfC’s complex mapping operation, while growing the TfC Urban Mobility Lab activities to maximise the use of the map. The main objective of the General Manager is to slowly transition TfC from the open-data mapping project towards a sustainable company.
S/he will be working at the intersection of the data, urban and transportation worlds. S/he will have a unique opportunity to take a leadership role at a nascent startup working at the technological forefront of transportation, while simultaneously being exposed to decision-makers and the biggest players within the transportation and urban fields locally as well as globally and help implement innovations in public-private-partnerships in development and in mapping and learning about informal transportation globally.
This is also an opportunity to leverage agile, continuous working practices to build a lean organization. This position requires grit, a combination of passion and perseverance and a willingness to conquer challenges, instead of avoiding them. It requires innovating across multiple functional areas: Team Building, Project Management, Marketing and Business Development.
S/he will be working closely with the Strategic Coordinator, Field Research Manager and TfC Partners to oversee the success TfC’s complex mapping operation, while ensuring the company’s ability to implement. S/he will be responsible to manage ongoing projects of the TfC Urban Mobility Lab, and take on new projects. These will require end-to-end scoping, planning, managing budgets and timelines, hiring and staffing project teams and delivering key activities. It will entail close work with TfC partners, who will aid in expanding and realising the incoming project pipeline and providing technical expertise.
The ideal candidate should have prior management experience delivering and leading a team, and be comfortable working within a state of ambiguity. Previous experience working in the technology sector, with a fundamental understanding of software programming and development and/or Geographic Information Systems is a plus.
We are interested in the person more than the role, so do not let the lack of prior domain experience hold you back.
- Increases management’s effectiveness by recruiting, selecting, orienting, training, coaching and counselling team members; communicating values, strategies, and objectives; assigning accountabilities; planning, monitoring, and appraising job results; developing incentives; developing a climate for offering information and opinions; providing educational opportunities.
- Develops strategic plans by studying technological and financial opportunities; presenting assumptions; recommending objectives and projects.
- Accomplishes objectives by establishing plans, budgets, and result measurements for subsidiary projects; allocating resources; reviewing progress; making mid-course corrections.
- Moves projects from conception to actualizations, including contract negotiation, formulation and maintenance; ensuring legal compliance; and project owner relationship management.
- Coordinates efforts by establishing procurement, production, marketing, field, and technical services policies and practices; coordinating actions with corporate staff.
- Builds company image by collaborating with customers, government, community organizations, and employees; enforcing ethical business practices.
- Maintains quality service by establishing and enforcing organization standards.
- Maintains professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops; reviewing professional publications; establishing personal networks; benchmarking state-of-the-art practices; participating in professional societies.
- Contributes to team effort by accomplishing related results as needed.
- Solid organizational skills including attention to detail and multi-tasking skills.
- Outstanding problem-solving skills and passion to solve hard problems.
- Ability to comprehend technical matters and grey areas that stretch outside of your personal area of expertise.
- 3-8 years of work experience in a leadership position.
- Proven track record of managing complex projects and team on-time and on budget from kick-off to completion.
- Bachelor’s degree, Master’s degree preferred.
- English – high proficiency, verbal & written communication. Additional foreign language preferred.
- Age is preferred to be in the area between 24-39 years but is not conditional.
- A desire to take on responsibility.
- Salary will be commensurate to experience, qualifications and expected workload.
- International Travel
How to Apply
- To apply please send a letter of motivation and a CV at firstname.lastname@example.org. The subject must include the position title and your name.
- The letter of motivation should include at minimum why you (would like to) work in the technology and transportation sector.
- Quality referrals and recommendations are highly appreciated.
- This is a rolling admission process, first applicants will be contacted sooner. Final applications will be accepted on
September 10th September 23rd.
Email us your application